1. Have a definite purpose for the fast: put before the Lord what you intend to achieve
2. Have a definite beginning and end time for the fast
3. Think of fasting and prayer as two separate activities, fasting being a time of waiting, humbling, focus, and denying the flesh
4. Purpose of fasting:
- a. Subjugation of the flesh
- b. For spiritual growth
- c. Seeking God for guidance, direction
- d. a mean of humbling myself
- e. for setting the captives free f. for increase in faith (as opposed to simply operating based on principles)
5. Prepare for your fast – suggest there is much prayer during this time, and have a period when you come off your fast gradually. Suggest there is also much prayer during this period.
6. You can think of tithing in a similar way to fasting – it is commanded, and it is useful in a similar way for your financial health.